When you install Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
or Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, you receive the following error message in the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard:
Failed to create sample data.
An exception of type System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException was thrown. Additional exception information: Exception has been thrown by target of the invocation. Database ‘WSS_Content’ is already open and can only have one user at a time.
When you view the configuration log file, you see entries that are similar to the following:
DateTime 11 ERR Task evalprovision has failed with an unknown exception
DateTime 11 ERR Exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service SPAdmin on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
To resolve this issue, configure the security settings for the Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (DTC) to use the Allow Remote Clients
setting. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Component Services.
- In the left pane of the Component Services snap-in, expand Component Services, and then expand Computers.
- Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click the MSDTC tab, and then click Security Configuration under Transaction Configuration.
- Under Security Settings, click to select the Network DTC Access check box, if it is not already selected. Then, click to select the Allow Remote Clients check box
- Click OK.
- When you receive the message that states that the DTC service will be stopped and restarted, click Yes to confirm that you want to continue.
- Click OK when you receive the message that the DTC service was restarted.
- Click OK.
For more information about how to administer the DTC by using Component Services, see the "Administering Distributed Transactions" topic in Component Services Help. To do this, click Help Topics
on the Help
menu in the Component Services snap-in, and then expand Component Services Administration Help