When you use Windows Internet Explorer 7 to visit a Web site, you may receive an error message that states the following:
You do not have the most current version of Internet Explorer.
The Web site supports Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or later versions.
This problem occurs even though Internet Explorer 7 is the most current version of Internet Explorer.
To resolve this problem, ask the owner of the Web site to modify it to correctly detect Internet Explorer 7.
Some Web sites are designed to identify Internet Explorer 6 as the latest version of Internet Explorer. To work around this problem, you can use the User Agent String Utility. You should use this utility only to visit Web sites that cannot recognize Internet Explorer 7. When you are finished visiting these sites, close all the Internet Explorer windows that were opened by the utility.Step 1: Download the User Agent String Utility
To download the utility, follow these steps:
- Click the link that is provided immediately following step 1c.
- In the File Download - Security Warning dialog box, click Run.
- In the Internet Explorer - Security Warning dialog box, click Run when you are asked whether you want to run this software. Then, go to the next step to install the User Agent String Utility.
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Release Date: August 4, 2006
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Step 2: Install the User Agent String Utility
Step 3: Use the User Agent String Utility to visit the Web page
- On the Welcome to the User Agent String Utility Setup page in the installation wizard, click Next.
- On the Select Installation Folder page, click Next.
- On the Confirm Installation page, click Next.
The wizard may take a minute or two to install the files.
- On the Installation Complete page, click Close to exit the wizard.
- To start the User Agent String Utility, double-click the User Agent String Utility icon on the desktop.
- In the Internet Explorer User Agent String Utility v2.0 dialog box, click Change Settings.
A browser window opens. You can use this browser window exactly as you use an Internet Explorer 7 window.
- Visit the Web site that does not recognize Internet Explorer 7. When you have finished, close the browser window that was opened by the utility.