You can use Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 to view Word 2003 files even if you do not have Word or installed on your computer. However, with these tools, you cannot save or edit the files.
If you have to view a file from Word 2007, or from later versions, and Word is not installed on your computer, you can view the file by using the Word Viewer 2003, but only after you install the Compatibility Pack. Note
If Word 2003 is already installed on your computer, you only have to install the Compatibility Pack to view or work with files from Word 2007, or from later versions. You do not have to install the Viewer.
Downloading Compatibility Pack and Viewers
To download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats from the Microsoft Download Center, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about how to obtain Word Viewer 2003 and Excel Viewer 2003, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003
Opening a file after you install the Compatibility Pack
To open a 2007 or a later version Microsoft Office file, in the Office 2003 viewers:
- Install the Compatibility Pack.
- Locate the file in Windows Explorer.
- Double-click the file that you want to view.
Opening Word 2007 or later version documents by using the Viewer
To use Word Viewer to open a file, follow these steps:
- Start Word Viewer.
- On the File menu, click Open.
- In the Files of type list, click All Files (*.*).
- Click to select the file that you want to open, and then click Open.
Microsoft Office Word 2007
Microsoft Office Word 2010
- Microsoft Office Word 2007 document (*.docx)
- Microsoft Office Word 2007 macro-enabled document (*.docm)
Microsoft Office Word 2013
- Microsoft Office Word 2010 document (*.docx)
- Microsoft Office Word 2010 macro-enabled document (*.docm)
- Microsoft Office Word 2013 document (*.docx)
- Microsoft Office Word 2013 macro-enabled document (*.docm)
for other considerations.