When you try to send a folder as an attachment in Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac, you receive the following error message:
Entourage cannot attach the item folder_name, Aladdin Systems StuffIt software must be installed on your computer in order to attach this item to a message.
This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
- You have a version of the StuffIt program installed that is later than version 6.5.0.
- You have turned on compression for all e-mail attachments, and you do not have the StuffIt program by Allume Systems (formerly known as Aladdin Systems, Inc.) installed.
Method 1: StuffIt versions newer than 6.5.0
To work around this issue when you have a version of the StuffIt program installed that is later than version 6.5.0, compress the folder by using the StuffIt program. Then, attach the compressed folder to the e-mail message.
Method 2: Install StuffIt
To work around this issue when you want to use compression in Entourage 2004 for Mac, install the StuffIt program by Allume Systems.
For more information about the StuffIt program, visit the following Allume Systems Division Web site:
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
Method 3: Turn off compression
To work around this issue when you do not have the StuffIt program installed, turn off compression. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the Entourage 2004 for Mac menu, click Preferences.
- Under Mail & News Preferences in the Navigation Pane, click Compose.
- In the Compression list, under Attachments, click None.
- Click OK.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.