When you try to log on to a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer that has Winternals Administrator's Pak installed, you cannot find the administrator account on the Welcome screen. Therefore, you cannot log on to the Windows XP-based computer.
When you install Windows XP, you are required to enter at least one name of a user who will access the computer. When you create this name, the default administrator account no longer appears.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete two times on the Welcome screen to retrieve the standard Windows logon dialog box.
- Log on by using the administrator account logon information.
- Click Start, click Log Off, and then click Log off in the Log Off Windows dialog box.
- Log on by using the available user account.
How to make the administrator account visible on the Welcome screenWarning
Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To make the administrator account visible on the Welcome screen, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type Regedit, and then press ENTER
- Locate and then click the following registry key:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type Administrator.
- Right-click the Administrator registry entry, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- Restart the computer.