You have more than one edition of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 installed on a computer. For example, you may have Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition for Software Developers and Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition installed.
. The installer may not apply the update to all editions of Visual Studio 2005 that are installed on the computer.
Also, if you use Microsoft Update or Windows Update to receive updates, the update Web site may offer you the update again.
Updates for Visual Studio 2005 that apply to more than one edition of Visual Studio 2005 depend on data in the Windows Installer cache to correctly determine which editions are installed on the computer. In certain circumstances, the Windows Installer cache may not contain the correct product setup Windows Installer (.msi) files. In this case, the installer will exit after it has applied the update to the first edition of the product that the installer finds in the cache. The installer will do this before it has applied the update to the remaining editions that are installed on the computer.
If you have chosen to receive updates through Microsoft Update or through Windows Update, the update Web site may offer you the update again. The update Web site does this because the installer did not apply the update to all editions of Visual Studio 2005 that are installed on the computer.
To work around this problem, use the following method:
- Download the update from the Microsoft Download Center by using the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article (KB) number.
- Extract the installation package files by using the /extract command-line switch.
- Double-click the .msp file to run the update.
For example, to apply update KB 937061 to all editions of Visual Studio 2005 that are installed on the computer, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Use the search tool to locate update KB 937061.
- Download the update. Save the update to an easily available location. For example, save the VS80sp1-KB937061-X86.exe file to the C:\ folder.
- Start a command prompt in the folder where you saved the update.
- Type the update_file_name /extract command to extract the installation package files. For example, type the following command:
vs80sp1-kb937061-x86.exe /extractThis extracts the installation package files to the C:\ folder.
- Double-click the VS80sp1-KB937061-X86.msp file to apply the update.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.