Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 2005. This article lists the bugs that are fixed in the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update. This article also provides a list of known issues that may occur when you install the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update.
Important notes about the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update
This update is a rollup of hotfixes for Visual SourceSafe 2005. This update includes many stability improvements, performance improvements, data improvements, integrity improvements, and usability improvements. This update also improves compatibility with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and with Windows Vista. Notes
- You can install this update before you install Visual Studio or after you install Visual Studio.
- We recommend that you install this update before you use Visual SourceSafe integration in Visual Studio. After you install the update, Visual SourceSafe is compatible with Visual Studio 2008.
- You only have to install this update one time.
- You can install this update over any Visual SourceSafe 2005 hotfixes that are installed.
Note Future Visual SourceSafe 2005 hotfixes will be cumulative and will include all the changes in this update. Additionally, older files will not overwrite newer versions.
How to obtain the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the VS80-KB943847-X86-INTL.exe package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Release Date: December 11, 2007
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Bugs that are fixed in the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update
For more information about the bugs that are fixed in this update, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
FIX: Error message when you try to use the Visual SourceSafe 2005 LAN booster service together with Visual Studio 2005 on a server that is running Windows 2000:"Unable to use SourceSafe LAN service"
FIX: The Analyze.exe utility may incorrectly remove files and projects in Visual SourceSafe 2005 when you run the utility by using the - d switch
FIX: The PDF file becomes corrupted after you check in the PDF file in Visual SourceSafe 2005
FIX: You cannot compare the latest version of a file to any earlier versions of that file after you change the file type to the UTF8 file type in Visual SourceSafe 2005
FIX: Error message in the Analyze.log file when you run the Analyze.exe utility in Visual SourceSafe 2005: "The file 0\DATA\\ is not a valid SourceSafe physical database file"
FIX: After you perform a merge operation on a file in Visual SourceSafe 2005, only three accounts can access the merged file
FIX: When you check out and then try to open a PDF file, the file may not open if the file was checked in by using Visual SourceSafe 2005
FIX: When you generate a report to show the history of a source file, Visual SourceSafe 2005 may stop unexpectedly
FIX: Error message when you use the Get Latest Version option in Visual SourceSafe 2005 to try to obtain the latest version of an XML file: "SourceSafe was unable to finish writing a file"
FIX: Error message when you try to check in a file that has a comment template and the comment template has more than three lines in Visual SourceSafe 6.0: "Error reading from file"
FIX: Visual SourceSafe 2005 may stop responding when you generate a report in the "Show History" dialog box
FIX: Error message when you try to set the value of the IVSSItem.AutoDetectEncoding property to "false" if the item is checked out in Visual SourceSafe 2005: "System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8004D67F)"
FIX: You may receive an error message when you use Ole Automation to programmatically retrieve a specific version of a file from the history in Visual SourceSafe 2005
FIX: Visual SourceSafe 2005 may stop responding (hang) when you check in a large binary file
FIX: Error message when you try to add files to a Visual SourceSafe 2005 database or when you try to retrieve files from a Visual SourceSafe 2005 database by using Web access through HTTP: "Operation timed out"
This update also includes fixes that were not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article. For more information about the bugs that are fixed in this update, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
Information about the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update
Supported operating systems
This update is supported on the following operating systems:
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
- Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004 with Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 with Service Pack 2
- Windows XP Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 2
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Datacenter Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2003, Web Edition with Service Pack 1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server with Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server with Service Pack 4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server with Service Pack 4
This update is also supported on the following operating systems in Windows-on-Windows (WOW) subsystems:
- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
- Windows 7 Starter 64-bit
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Windows 7 Starter 64-bit with Service Pack 1
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 1
- Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit with Service Pack 1
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003 R2, Datacenter x64 Edition
- Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition with Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition with Service Pack 1
When you install this update, the following issues may occur:
You must have Visual SourceSafe 2005 installed to install this update.
You do not have to restart the computer after you install this update unless one of the files that was updated was being used during the installation.
The English version of this update has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time
item in Control Panel.
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Support for the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update
Formal support for the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update is available through the Microsoft Connect Web site. For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Formal support for the Visual SourceSafe 2005 Update is also available through the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Forums. For more information, visit the following MSDN Web site: