Microsoft has released security bulletin MS08-051. To view the complete security bulletin, visit one of the following Microsoft Web sites:
How to obtain help and support for this security update
Help installing updates:
Support for Microsoft Update
Security solutions for IT professionals:
TechNet Security Troubleshooting and Support
Help protect your computer that is running Windows from viruses and malware:
Virus Solution and Security Center
Local support according to your country:
More information about this security update
Known issues with this security update
- Microsoft has posted new update packages, labeled Version 2, to the Microsoft Download Center for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Service Pack 2 and for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Service Pack 3. If you have manually installed Version 1 of this update from Download Center, you have to reinstall Version 2 of this update. If you used Microsoft Update or Office Update to install this update, you do not have to reinstall this update.
To determine whether you have the correct version of the file, you will have to examine the file version of the Powerpnt.exe file that you have on your computer.
If you have the incorrect version of the file, you will have to perform one of the following actions:
- If the Powerpnt.exe file version is 11.0.8227.0, you have the latest version of the update installed.
- If the Powerpnt.exe file version is 11.0.8212.0, you have the incorrect version of the update installed.
Note The initial packages that were released to the Download Center earlier on August 12, 2008, labeled Version 1, contained incorrect versions of the binaries. Although these versions did protect against the vulnerabilities that are discussed in the security bulletin, they lacked other important security and reliability updates. This affected only the packages on the Microsoft Download Center. Microsoft Update and Office Update contained and distributed the correct versions of the binaries and do not have to be updated. If you have successfully deployed these updates through Microsoft Update or Office Update, you do not have to take any action.
- Install the latest version of this update, labeled Version 2, from the Download Center manually. On the Download Center, refer to the Affected Software table for the location of the latest packages for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Service Pack 2 and Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Service Pack 3.
- Reinstall the update by using Microsoft Update or Office Update to automatically scan the computer and then offer the correct update.
- If you decide not to reinstall the update, as a workaround, you must manually set a registry key in order to block PowerPoint presentation types.
For more information about how to block PowerPoint presentation types, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Information about certain file types that are blocked after you install Office 2003 Service Pack 3
You must have one of the following installed to apply this security update:
- Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3)
For more information about how to obtain Office 2003 SP2 or Office 2003 SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
Non-security-related fixes that are included in this security update
When you apply this security update on a computer that is running Office 2003 SP3, the following hotfix is also installed:
Description of the PowerPoint 2003 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: November 26, 2007
The English (United States) version of this security update has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time
item in Control Panel.
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time|