When you visit the Windows Update Web site or the Microsoft
Update Web site to download the latest update for hardware drivers, and then
you click install the updated driver, you may receive the following error
This issue occurs if the following scenarios are true:
- Windows Update or Microsoft Update tries to install a driver a second time for an additional piece of
identical hardware such as a graphics adapter.
- Windows Update or Microsoft
Update tries to update a currently installed driver to an unsuitable
version of that driver.
For the most recent available driver, contact the device manufacturer. This issue can be safely ignored if this applies to a driver. However, the driver may be offered again by Windows Update in the future. To hide the update so that it is not offered again, follow these steps, depending on your operating system:
Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003
- Visit the Microsoft Update Web site:
- After the scan for updates is complete, click
Custom on the Welcome page.
- In the navigation pane, click Hardware,
Optional. Then, the Update client displays the available updates on
the Select Optional Hardware Updates page.
- Expand the second update for the graphics card, and then
click to select the Don't show this update again check box.
- Click Review and install updates.
- Verify that the second update for the graphics card is not
present, and then click Install Updates.
Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows 7
- Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates.
- After the scan for updates is complete, click the Optional updates are available link.
- In the Select the updates you want to install section, right-click the update that you want to hide, and then click Hide update.
- Click OK.
- Click Install Updates to install any additional updates that are selected. If no other updates are selected, close Windows Update.
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), type Windows Updates in the search box, tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Check for updates.
- After the scan is complete, tap or click the Optional updates are avialable link.
- Tap and hold or Right click the update you want to hide, tap or click Hide update, and then tap or click OK.
- If any other updates are available, save all your work in other programs, then tap or click Restart now to install updates, otherwise, close the Windows Update window.
Windows Update and Microsoft Update may try to install
duplicate hardware drivers because they detect two distinct graphics cards in
the computer, even though the graphics cards use the same graphics adapter. In
this case, one copy of the driver is successfully installed before you receive
the error message.