Microsoft has released security bulletin MS08-026. The security bulletin contains all the relevant information about the security update for Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac. To view the complete security bulletin, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
The Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.2 Update contains several changes that improve security and stability. These changes include fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of a computer's memory by using malicious code.
Before you install the Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.2 Update, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar) or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac
on the Apple
Additionally, the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.1 Update must be installed on the computer before you install the Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.2 Update. To verify that the Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.1 Update is installed, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2004 folder, and then open the Office folder.
- Click the Microsoft Component Plugin file.
- On the File menu, click Get Info.
- Click General. The version information is displayed.
How to obtain the update
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.2 Update package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Release Date: May 13, 2008
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
- The Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.2 Update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date.
To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program. Then, on the Help menu, click Check for Updates.
For more information about resources for Office 2004 for Mac, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- The Read Me file that is included with the Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.2 Update includes the following important release information:
- The minimum system requirements
- Instructions for how to install the update
- Information about how to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install the update
- Information about the updated files that this update adds or changes