When you try to uninstall a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 instance, or when you try to remove a SQL Server 2008 node from a failover cluster, the Fusion ATL rule check fails. When this occurs, the Setup program fails, and you receive the following error message:
A computer restart is required because of broken fusion ATL. You must restart your computer before you continue.
This problem occurs when the following conditions are true:
- The Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files component was removed by the current uninstallation attempt or by the node removal action.
- The Fusion ATL assembly was not installed in the global assembly cache (GAC).
Because an uninstallation or a node removal action does not install the missing Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files setup component, the Fusion ATL rule fails.
To work around this problem, manually install the SQL Server Setup support files from the installation media before you run the uninstallation or the remove node action from the SQL Server 2008 Setup file. To do this, follow these steps:
- Insert the original SQL Server 2008 installation media.
- In Windows Explorer, locate the Sqlsupport.msi file in the following folder:
Drive:\Platform\setupNote The Drive placeholder represents the drive letter of the installation media. The Platform placeholder represents the processor architecture of your installation. For example, the processor architecture may be designated x86, x64, or IA-64.
- Double-click the Sqlsupport.msi file.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation of the SQL Server Setup support files.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.