Consider the following scenario:
- On a Microsoft Windows-based computer, you apply Cumulative Update 3 for SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 by using a slipstream installation.
For more information about this cumulative update package, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Cumulative update package 3 for SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1
- You try to uninstall this cumulative update after the slipstream installation.
In this scenario, the Full-Text Search component is not completely rolled back to the SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 version.
To confirm whether you are encountering this issue, you can check the SQL Server Full-Text Key file (Sql_fulltext_keyfile.dll) in the SQL Server 2008 Installation folder. Typically, this file is located in the following folder:
%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSQL10.<Instance Name>\MSSQL
If this file has a file version that is greater than 10.00.2531.00, the Full-Text Search component is not completely rolled back to the SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 version.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.
Note For Windows Vista or for Windows Server 2008, open Programs and Features.
- In the Currently installed programs list, click Microsoft SQL Server 2008, and then click Change/Remove.
Note For Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, right-click Microsoft SQL Server 2008, and then click Change.
- In the SQL Server 2008 dialog box, click Remove.
- Select the appropriate instance or instances, and then click Next.
- In the Select Features window, select Full-Text Search from the Features list.
- Complete the Remove SQL Server 2008 wizard, as appropriate for your configuration.
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2008, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Installation Center.
- Click Installation, and then click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- In the Browse For Folder dialog box, locate the SQL Server 2008 installation folder that you want, and then click OK.
- In the SQL Server 2008 Setup window, click Next to move to the Installation Type phase.
- Click Add Features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2008, select the appropriate instance in the drop-down list, and then click Next to move to the Feature Selection phase.
- Select Full-Text Search from the Features list.
- Follow the steps in the Full-Text Search installation wizard.
There is no workaround for cluster scenarios. To roll back the cumulative update, you must reinstall the clustered instance of SQL Server.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.