Microsoft has released security bulletins MS09-067 and MS09-068. These security bulletins contain all the relevant information about the security updates for Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. To view the complete security bulletins, visit the following Microsoft Web sites:
The Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.3 Update contains several changes that improve security, stability, and performance. In addition, this update includes fixes for vulnerabilities that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of a computer's memory by using malicious code.
Improvements that are included in the update
The Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.3 Update includes the following improvements.
Improvements for all Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac applications
- Security is improved.
This update fixes vulnerabilities in Office 2008 that an attacker can use to overwrite the contents of your computer's memory with malicious code. For more information, see the security bulletin that is listed earlier in this document.
- Stability is improved.
This update fixes an issue that causes Office 2008 applications to close unexpectedly when you open or use Office 2008 applications.
- Windows Office documents to which metafiles are attached now contain the correct text spacing when they are opened in Office 2008 for Mac.
This update fixes text spacing issues that occur when you use Office 2008 for Mac to open a Windows Office document to which an OLE object or a metafile is attached.
Improvements for Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac
- Stability is improved.
This update fixes an issue that causes Word to close unexpectedly in the following scenarios:
- You accept tracked changes in a document.
- You are working on documents that contain two separate language settings, and you run the Italian grammar check.
- You try to save a Newsletter template as a .doc document.
Improvements for Microsoft Excel 2008 for Mac
- Stability improved when you work with PivotTables.
This update fixes an issue that causes Excel to close unexpectedly sometimes when you work with PivotTables.
- The Workday function excludes weekends and holidays. This update fixes an issue in which the Workday function includes weekends and holidays.
Improvements for Microsoft PowerPoint 2008 for Mac
- Stability is improved.
This update fixes an issue that causes PowerPoint 2008 to do the following:
- PowerPoint closes unexpectedly when you hide PowerPoint from the slide master.
- PowerPoint crashes when you click to edit text, and the Do not check Spelling option is selected in the Language dialog box that is in the Tools menu.
Improvements for Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac
- Time zone information is updated. This update provides updated time zone information.
- The junk mail filter is updated.
This update includes a new Junk E-mail Protection definition file.
Improvements for Microsoft Document Connection for Mac
- Stability is improved with Document Connection.
This update fixes an issue that causes Document Connection not to open some files or to display an error in the following scenarios:
- The files do not have an associated start application.
- The files have an equal sign (=) in the file name.
- Multiple files that have different file types are checked out.
- Copy Link on the shortcut menu can be used to copy a URL.
This update includes the Copy Link command that lets you copy a URL by using the shortcut menu.
- The File icon displays the correct file status.
This update fixes an issue that causes Document Connection to show the status of the Edit icon as Read-Only when a file is opened two times.
- Document Connection opens only the file that you intend to open.
This update fixes an issue that causes Document Connection to also open a blank document every time that you open a file. This behavior only occurs when the application that is associated with the file is already open before you open the file from Document Connection.
- CMD+R is used for Refresh.
This update assigns the keyboard shortcut CMD+R for Refresh.
- Accounts that use "@msn.com" can be used to connect to Office Live Workspace.
This update fixes an issue that causes Document Connection to reject @msn.com accounts when you connect to Office Live Workspace.
- Zero kilobyte (KB) files can be uploaded to and downloaded from Document Connection.
This update that causes Document Connection to reject blank files that are zero KB.
- The file size of a newly uploaded file is reflected accurately.
This update fixes an issue that causes Document Connection not to display the file size of a newly uploaded file until you update the screen.
- Document Connection displays site library names with escape characters correctly.
This update fixes an issue that causes Document Connection to display random characters in site library names for escape characters.
- Document Connection stores passwords in the keychain for HTTPS sites.
This update fixes an issue that causes Document Connection to prompt you for credentials even when your password is stored in the keychain. This issue occurred only for secured sites.
Previously released improvements that are included in this update
This update includes all the improvements that were released in all previous Office 2008 updates.
For more information about the improvements in a previous update, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.1 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.2 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.3 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.5 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.7 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.9 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.0 Update
Description of the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.1 Update
For more information about the improvements in the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.4 Update, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Before you install the Office 2008 12.2.3 Update, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click
About This Mac
Additionally, you must install the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update or later versions before you install the Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.3 Update.
To verify the update that is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the
Go menu, click
- Open the
Microsoft Office 2008 folder, and then start any Office application. For example, start Word.
- On the
Word menu, click
- In the
About Word dialog box, verify the version number next to
Latest Installed Update.
How to obtain the update
The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.2.3 Update package now.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Release Date: November 10, 2009
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
For a complete list of the files that this update adds or changes, double-click the update installer, and then on the File
menu, click Show Files
- The Office 2008 12.2.3 Update is also available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is a program that automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date.
To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program. Then, on the Help menu, click Check for Updates.
For more information about resources for Office 2008 for Mac, visit the following Microsoft Web site: