Hardware acceleration is a new feature in Internet Explorer 9 that lets Internet Explorer move all graphics and text rendering from the CPU to the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU). In some cases, you have to enable or disable hardware acceleration to check for hardware or software compatibility issues with viewing certain Internet websites, such as websites that contain streaming or full-screen video. Note Rendering
is the process of using computer code to display the text and graphics that you see on your screen.
To have us enable or disable hardware acceleration for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it
button or link. Then click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it
- The Fix it solution will not work if your video card or video driver does not support GPU hardware acceleration.
- This wizard may be in English only, but the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?
Let me fix it myself
To disable hardware acceleration, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools icon in the upper-right corner, and then click Internet Options.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then under Accelerated graphics, select the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering check box.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
- Close Internet Explorer 9 and then restart it so that the change takes effect.
To enable hardware acceleration again, follow the previous steps, but in step 3, clear the Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering
Did this fix the problem?
- Open the webpage to see whether the problem is fixed. If it is, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me
" blog or send us an email